Sunday 17 November 2013

Where is The Gypsy Queen Caravan Going Today?


This morning I'm heading north to the wilderness to perform an afternoon concert in Powassan. I did some research and found that the traditional native meaning for "Powassan" is an Indian name which means a "bend". The original settlement was at a bend of the South River. Therefore the name is an appropriate one, I do believe. 
 
I've been busy baking!!! Today's homemade desserts for the concert include some Chewy, chocolate brownies with sliced almonds, raspberry  and walnut flats, and the ever so popular homemade family date squares mhh (sinful).
 
 
I'll be taking time to track down my roots and some old family ties. Starting with the Powassan Hotel and my Great Grandfather's family home.  The Moloney side of me immigrated from Ireland settling first in Barrie, Ontario and then later moving to Powassan to run the Powassan Hotel. My Great Grandfather Dr. Peter Joseph Moloney was raised in Powassan. He was a pioneer in Science and had the privilege of working on the "Best and Banting" team http://drpetermoloney.com/.
 
 
I'm also going to check out http://www.gieslerboats.ca/ which started a great love of my Grandfather's boat building. My Grandfather spent his summers in Powassan and found his love for boat building there. I think he passed that love for traditional boats and the water onto me.
 
 
Well, I must be on my way. Till we meet again...
 
                                      
 
~Mollie

No comments:

Post a Comment